wow, there's never as **as that.
哇,沒那麼簡單。
to survive and thrive in any business is hard.
在任何行業都很難生存和發展。
and to survive and thrive in the media business is the hardest, i should say, for the past two decades or so.
而且,我可以說,在過去 20 年左右的時間裡,**行業是最難生存和發展的。
because when we decided to start up a private media company, there was literally no such a thing called a "media market" yet.
因為當我們決定創辦一家私人**公司時,還沒有“**市場”這樣的東西。
you had to negotiate with government-owned networks.
您必須與國營**網路進行溝通和談判。
you h**e to hire somebody who is moonlighting because they cannot or couldn't afford to resign from government networks.
您必須雇用兼職工人來做這件事,因為他們不能或負擔不起退出網路的費用。
so basically you had to struggle, you know, between funding, staffing, operation, and of course the **ship issue you h**e to deal with on the daily basis.
所以基本上你處於一種掙扎的狀態,你知道,資金、人員、運營,當然還有你每天必須處理的審查問題。
so it was harsh.
所以當時很難。
if you only allow me to mention one thing to survive until now, i think it is passion.
如果你只說一件事支撐著我,我想那就是激情。
it is the true passion for high-quality, original content, the true passion for communication between china and the world, the true passion about doing what you're doing.
這是對高質量原創內容的真正熱情,對促進中國與世界其他地區之間交流的真正熱情,以及對你正在做的事情的真正熱情。
you know, otherwise, you would h**e given that up long before.
否則,你早就放棄了。
because it's not the most profitable business and a lot of risks involved.
因為這不是乙個特別有利可圖的業務,而且風險很大。
new words and expressions